Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

pacifier...dummy...binky...whatever!


I avoid using this soothing things for my baby boy since the first time.....until I went to my pedi (another pedi to have second opinion). She looked at my baby and asked about his sucking hobby, she saw when he finished his milk and still eager to suck. She asked whether I give him paci or not...I said confidently...I won't use it and make it as bad habit!

My pedi said....who need or not need it? is it the parents or the baby??? OK.......that's a hard question to answer! My pedi remained me that as parents we have to fullfil his need, that's it! It's not about parents, it's about the baby! Huhuhuhuhu That's 1000% correct! Where am I????

So.....I started giving him the dummy when he showed sucking motion but refused to drink. It did help! and if you know........dummy is just addicted! not to the baby but to parents! It's like a safety boat in emergency situation....

start crying......dummy's coming...
hungry but the milk not ready yet....dummy's coming...
on his box and he's crying....dummy's coming....

I read some articles that mention it's safe to use dummy until 4 mo as it won't affect the jaws or teeth position.....some say it's ok until 6 mo....and baby will have less willingness to suck his dummy after 4mo......another great fact is it's easier to wean a dummy than a thumb...

So here I'm with 4 mo baby and it's true that dummy not his favourite any longer....so dummy now is really not a help anymore hooorayyyy

My tips for mums are becareful using dummy too often, the best period is only 2 hours a day.....because when he cries and you force the dummy in, you don't give him time to express his feelings. Dummy might be a great soother for the baby, so be wise to decide whether your baby need it or not. Remember it's about the baby's need not what the parents want.

0 comments: