Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sleeping pattern-success!

He is almost 5 months now and FINALLY....he can sleep on his own box! Praise the Lord..

Here the story from the beginning....He has been sleping on his tummy since he was 1 week (our pedi. recommended this style as he has breathing problem). Never work to let him sleep on his tummy until now! Anyway, the advantages of sleeping on his tummy are he could lift up his neck on his first month, he is an expert to turn his head right and left while sleeping, he is no longer have breathing problem.

I experienced carrying him until he fell asleep and when i put him on his bed, he cried and we started the process again. Sometimes I slept with him on my lap....it's so tiring huhuhuhu. It made me do nothing all day long!!!

Next step was I needed to carry and rock him until he fell asleep and then I will super slowly putting him on his box and he would sleep....this style hurt my back a lot!!!! Sometimes it takes 30 minutes (if i'm lucky) until 2 hours!!!!!!

I read some method to make the baby sleeps by himself, such as after good night kiss then leave him alone (I've tried this and he still didn't sleep until an hour and still crying!) or other similar method but it just didn't work!

Finally...he is 6kg now and I will break my back I believe if i do this everytime he has to sleep, so I talked with my cousin and she said......just put him on the box when he shows sleepy signs and if he doesn't want to sleep just play with him on his box until he falls asleep. If he cries, ask him to play again or we can leave him crying for 30-45 minutes for 3 days and then he will get use of it. but must be under your supervision if he really need to be carried. Well I've tried this and it doesn't really work for my sweet baby!

With some changes, finally it works!!! so when he shows sleepy signs, put him on the box, if he doesn't want to sleep, i used to ask him play on his box (I sat next to his box)--> it's not working, he will then play and cry and play and cry for 1-2 hours. So...I will carry him and ask him to play on my bed until he rubs his eyes several times and become fussy a bit, then i'll put him on his box, he will cry for 15 minutes or less and then sleep (the beginning), now he will cry for 5 minutes or less!!! or if he showed the signs already but still crying just feed him, it usually work well!

I will not set the time for his napping, but at night I usually put him on his box at 8pm or less if he shows the signs already.

For nap time, if he sleeps less than his common hour, I usually give him pats on his back or pick him up and rock him a while and put him back on his box or feed him...if they just don't work then it's time for me to play with him hip hip hoorayyyy

I assume that baby knows when he needs or wants to sleep desperately so why do we wasting time asking him to sleep while he wants to play still.

My tips for mums is remember, different child different style.....don't force your child to one method, know your child better! Trial and error absolutely needed!

0 comments: